Jan’s Jaunts and Jabberings!
A few weeks ago I saw the first mention of the Liebster Award on Stick’s blog. With my curiosity piqued, I searched Google to discover a blog entry by Lorraine Reguly describing the rules of this pay-it-forward type award.
I was bestowed this award by my friend Muk Muk who is current blogging as the Serial Nomad. Last year she had one of the most popular, prolific and emotionally honest blogs while hiking the PCT (Mexico to Canada 2013). I had the privilege of meeting her as she passed through far northern California and happily provided a bit of trail magic while sharing in her journey as an enthusiastic hiker cheerleader.
Over the past few years, as I’ve become more entrenched in the hiking, backpacking, PCT/AT/CDT world, I’ve found it’s very interconnected, with social media providing introductions and opening many doors. This award offers me the opportunity to introduce my readers to some of my favorite bloggers and through their blogs more favorites, more opportunities, and so the chain continues.
By accepting this award,
Rule #1 – answer the 11 questions provided by Muk Muk
1. What did you want to be when you grew up?
I’d like to say a hiker or backpacker, but I think that’d be lying . . . so instead I’ll say I had mountains and wilderness in my blood. My dad worked for the forest service with lookout radio maintenance as one of his jobs and my mom spent her early years living in a lookout.
2. What’s your most memorable dream?
Dream? I dream of dreaming! REM sleep seems to elude me, so I’ll settle for the pleasant daydreams I have occasionally but nothing to write home about.
3. Do you believe in fate and/or destiny?
I believe things happen for a reason.
4. What makes you really happy?
This one’s easy, look at my blog. Trees, the smell of pine, beautiful clear alpine lakes, gray granite, snow covered peaks, clouds, sunrises and sunsets . . .
5. What’s the kindest thing another human-being has ever done for you?
My friend Norma taught me to be me. I was extremely fortunate to have met Norma in my early 20’s. If not for her, I would have lived a much different life, one I fear would have been filled with much unhappiness.
6. What’s the kindest thing you’ve done in return?
Good question, I think I’ll let my friends answer that one.
7. Where does fear prevent you from travelling to?
Up until this past year, solo backpacking was a fear which prevented me from traveling to areas on my bucket list. After conquering this fear, I’m excited to go forth and conquer!
8. If you could have one super power, what would it be?
I’ll request two. First is TIME and the second is life balance, something that has seriously eluded me.
9. Who would you most wish to sit next to on a 14-hour flight?
Might as well put Muk Muk first on that list.
10. How do you make the world a better place?
I love to teach and share, and I hope that by sharing my passions, a few find the world a happier place.
11. Other than love, complete the sentence: All we need is….?
Money? at least enough to buy our play toys and to travel :)
Friends? absolutely! they enrich my world
Time? wandering and wondering would make the world a better place
Rule #2 – Nominate 11 bloggers
Since I’m a bit of a renegade rule breaker, I choose to nominate 5.
1. Lady on a Rock
2. The New Nomads
3. Embracing the Path
4. The Mountains are Calling
5. Rambling Hemlock
Rule #3 – Provide those nominees with 11 questions
1. How old were you when you first camped? hiked? backpacked?
2. What piece of outdoor gear have you had the longest (that you still use)? what is it and why have you not replaced it?
3. Do you have a favorite wilderness area? or favorite trail?
4. When on an outdoor adventure, what is your favorite time of day?
5. What is your favorite season and why?
6. Do you have a favorite outdoor adventure related book, film, or website that you like to recommend?
7. Who was/is your outdoor adventure mentor?
8. What has been your most memorable misadventure?
9. What lesson(s) would you most like to share about trail life?
10. They say we pack our fears in our backpack, what fear do you pack in yours?
11. Name one item near the top of your bucket list.
Thank You Muk Muk for the Nomination