My friend, Joan aka Rambling Hemlock, told me Mesa Verde ranks at or near the top of her list of favorite National Parks. With that kind of a recommendation, how could I not experience it for myself?
Ancient Pueblo Construction 101
I found this display very helpful and informative after my recent discoveries in Utah during my J&J WOW Adventures.
Many examples of these building techniques are showcased throughout the Park. The Mesa Top Loop drive provided easy access to a variety of Pit houses and villages. The main attraction open during the winter, Spruce Tree House, required a ranger-led tour guide.
Spruce Tree House
Pit Houses and Kivas
- Mesa Verde National Park (web site)
- During the winter, plan for at least 4-6 hours to view the open exhibits (remember it takes an hour to drive to the area from Visitor’s Center)
- There is much more to see during the other three seasons. If you like history and archeology, plan your time accordingly.
- If interested in exploring beyond the exhibits, there are quite a few hiking trails in the Park.
- Links to other blog posts about my jaunts in Colorado.