Dates Hiked: March 12-13, 2015 (Days 10-11)
Passage 11: Santa Catalina Mountains
-Romero Pass to Gordon Hirabayashi Trailhead
-Elevation: Low Point 3,641′, High Point 6,053′
Who said Arizona was flat? The previous passage was up, up, up . . . which means this passage must be down, down, down . . . into the Sycamore and Sabino canyons. It’s truly amazing to pass through so many geologic environments within just a few miles.
Sharing the Trail:
- Being relatively near Tucson, Mount Lemmon and a couple of campgrounds, made this passage a good one for day hikers. We saw at least two groups out enjoying the day on the trail.
- Ledge was hiking about 650 miles north; he’d previously hiked the AT (pictured with Joan).
Tips and Resources:
- Link to my other Arizona Trail (AZT) posts
- Rambling Hemlock (aka Joan)
- Arizona Trail Association
- Fred Gaudet’s Water Report
- Umbrella and Mariposa Pack Links
- Disclaimer: As a Gossamer Gear Ambassador, I was gifted the pack, but paid for all the rest of my gear
- Near Tucson, AZ
- Camping – Molina Basin Campground. Directly off the Mt Lemmon/Catalina Highway, this was a convenient place to meet Joan’s parents and should be a good place to hitch into Tucson for resupply.