Dates Hiked: March 13-14, 2015 (Days 11-12)
Passage 10: Redington Pass
-Gordon Hirabayashi Trailhead to Italian Trap
-Elevation: Low Point 3,863′, High Point 4,921′
It was a treat to resupply at Trader Joe’s in Tucson; exchanging my lightweight dehydrated food for fresh was a weight penalty gamble. Will a happy tummy fuel the climbs or will the weight turn me into a trudging Wombat, much as described by author John George Wood in Animal Kingdom, “the Wombat . . . trudges along at it’s own pace, with a heavy rolling waddle or hobble, like the gait of a very fat bear?”
Water was plentiful as compared to our much earlier passages, but no match for the previous couple passages. It was a relief to have the option to choose between a tank, green sludge, a creek, a spring or a LAKE. I’ll pick water filtered by flowers any day!
Sharing the Trail:
- We only saw two mountain bikers on this passage. One told us about a mountain bike race on the AZT starting April 3rd.
Tips and Resources:
- Link to my other Arizona Trail (AZT) posts
- Rambling Hemlock (aka Joan)
- Arizona Trail Association
- Fred Gaudet’s Water Report
- Umbrella and Mariposa Pack Links
- Disclaimer: As a Gossamer Gear Ambassador, I was gifted the pack, but paid for all the rest of my gear
- Near Tucson, AZ
- Camping – Molina Basin Campground. Directly off the Mt Lemmon/Catalina Highway, this was a convenient place to meet Joan’s parents and should be a good place to hitch into Tucson for resupply. There is a large shopping center, including a Safeway, at the edge of town.