Dates Hiked: May 22, 2015 (Part 2: Miles 1530.85-1537.19) . . . to be continued Direction: Northbound Section P: Castella to Etna -Miles: 98.5 (Halfmile 1498.7-1597.2) -Elevation: Low Point 2,157′, High Point 7,769′, Gain 17,594′, Loss 13,770′ After 10 days of stormy weather, it was time to face my retreat point and see for myself how conditions have changed.
And so the story of Section P continues . . . 60 miles remaining . . .
- Section P – Part 1 (May 2015)
- Cement Bluff (May 2015)
- Deadfall Lakes (May 2014 – another Mother’s Day snow)
- Cliff and Terrace Lakes (Jan 2014)
- Grey Rock Lake (Nov 2013)
- Tamarack & Twin Lakes (Nov 2013)
- Porcupine Lake (Oct 2013)
- Mount Eddy (Oct 2013)
- Soapstone Lakes (Sept 2013)
- Castle Lake (Aug 2013)
- Permits are not required to backpack within Section P (exceptions Castle Crags State Park and Castle Crags Wilderness).
- Bear canisters are not required. It is recommended that you hang your food. I use an Ursack and Opsak.
- Cell signal and internet service are limited.
- Spring trips mean unreliable weather forecasts and unpredictable weather. I had rain one night, sleet and hail another.
- PCT resources
- Sections of Section P (reference Day Hikes on the Pacific Crest Trail by George & Patricia Semb)
- I5/Soda Springs to Dog Trail (7.9 miles)
- Dog Trail to Gumboot Trailhead (18.2 miles)
- Gumboot Trailhead to Parks Creek Road Trailhead (14.3 miles)
- Parks Creek Road Trailhead to Fen Trailhead (12 miles)
- Fen Trailhead to Highway 3 (10.9 miles)
- Highway 3 to Carter Summit Trailhead (19.9 miles)
- Carter Summit Trailhead to Etna Summit (20.2 miles)