What are ramparts anyway? According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary (1) a protective barrier (2) a broad embankment raised as a fortification and usually surmounted by a parapet (3) a wall-like ridge (as of rock fragments, earth, or debris).
- This was about a 17.5 mile trip with 3,800′ of elevation gain and loss. I started at the Sunshine Village parking lot, ascended the Healy Pass trail, traversed the Monarch Rompart ridge, descended through the Lake Eohippus meadow to Simpson Pass, finally reconnecting to the Healy Pass trail.
- Grizzly activity closes trails or requires groups of four to travel together. Therefore, it’s always good to go prepared with a Plan B; better yet, also with Plan C and D.
- If you’re like me and prefer photos minus strangers, and quiet trails with more opportunity to see wildlife, especially during peak tourist season, GO EARLY. This trail is definitely quieter than many but because a bus can be taken from the parking area to Sunshine Village, there are a fair amount of hikers on the Simpson Pass to Healy Pass section of the trail.
- Helpful links:
- A Parks Canada Pass is required.
- Link to my other Canada blog posts.
- Gem Trek Publishing, Banff & Mount Assiniboine (Trail Map & Guide)
- Canadian Rockies Trail Guide by Brian Patton and Bart Robinson
- Don’t Waste Your Time In The Canadian Rockies: The Opinionated Hiking Guide by Kathy and Craig Copeland