The 2012 lightning caused Pole Creek Fire spans 41 square miles. I hiked through this pick-up stick forest for about 1.5 hours. I wouldn’t want to be here if there was even a hint of breeze. I’m sure the spring deadfall cleanup is atrocious. Disappointing to see, even after 4 years, the negligible amount of natural reforestation.
I hiked from the Pole Creek Trailhead (FS Road 15) south on Pole Creek Trail (#4072) to Green Lakes Trail (#17) to Camp Lake Trail (#4074). This was a 15+ miles round trip, which included a bit of off-trail exploring around the lake.
- Date Hiked: 10/12/16
- Mileage: 15.5 miles round trip
- Elevation Gain/Loss: approximately 2800′
- Trail Conditions: Near excellent
- Solitude: Saw 2 hunters and 1 runner
- Bugs: None
- Precip: None
- Temp: COLD morning, but warmed up nicely
- Jan’s Cherry Picker Delight Scale: 4 cherries (out of 5)
- Ranger Station
- Deschutes National Forest District Office in Sisters (Stop by for latest trail conditions, maps, etc.)