Date(s) Hiked: April 13-16, 2016
Road Trip Day(s) #55-58 out of 88
- Skip the Jackson Visitor Center. You’ll find much better information at the Craig Thomas Discovery & Visitor Center In Grand Teton NP. Ask for the “best of winter” list if you’re there during winter/spring season.
- Winter lodging options are fairly limited if you want to avoid Jackson. I stayed one night near Moran at the Fireside Resort RV Park, a dilapidated place in need of serious repairs. All the campgrounds in the NP were closed until 4/15, but they permit camping at the Colter Bay Visitor Center for $5 which I did one night. This is how I camp while traveling (55 nights in 2016). I removed the wide back seat in my Honda CRV and at 5’4″ I can sleep comfortably lengthwise. My Zpacks 10-degree bag has kept me comfortable, while the JetBoil stays busy making boiling water for my meals and beverages. Yes, I’ll be doing a post one of these days.
- For crowd avoidance, watch the calendar for free admission week, which seems to be mid April.
- Highway 89/191/281 is closed just before the South Entrance to Yellowstone (early November til mid May). The West Entrance on Highway 20 from Idaho is closed until late April.
- The nearby National Elk Refuge is a great place to view wildlife.