It’s April, I’m hanging out in Jackson waiting out a spring snowstorm. I’ve spent the last few days in the Tetons and am planning my route to Glacier when I learn the West Entrance to Yellowstone is opening the next day. I still have lingering nightmare memories of my one and only trip through the park about 15-20 years ago. August! Dare I say more. All I remember is the horrific line of traffic waiting to gain entry, bumper to bumper once in, and miles and miles of toothpick forests from the 1988 fire. Now that it’s off-season I’m excited to replace those images with my favorite off-season kind.
Date(s) Hiked: April 17-19, 2016
Road Trip Day(s) #59-61 out of 88
- The only campground in the park open during the winter/early spring season is Mammoth
- Come prepared with grizzly bear spray or buy at Visitor’s Center upon arrival
- Microspikes or YakTrax are a good option for early season travel.
- Yellowstone National Park
- Yellowstone NP – Day Hike Guide
- Yellowstone Association – excellent Trail Guide brochures for $1 donation
- National Geographic Map – Yellowstone National Park