This was my turnaround spot, but the trail invited continuation.
I’d considered a night on the trail but the uncertain weather had me thinking otherwise plus with limited daylight hours I decided I’d rather spend time hiking vs loading my pack. Another storm blew through that night, with wind, thunder, hail, snow and temperatures in the low 30’s.
- Date(s) Hiked: September 26, 2017
- Mileage (per ViewRanger): about 10 miles round trip
- Elevation Gain/Loss (per ViewRanger): about 1,400 feet
- Elevation Low/High (per ViewRanger): 10,000’/10,500′
- Trail Conditions:
- Tree obstacles: none
- Overgrowth: none
- Signage: excellent
- Terrain: excellent
- Navigation Skills: minimal
- Water availability: unreliable
- Camping availability: plentiful
- Solitude: It’s a very busy trailhead but after a couple miles there were few others around
- Bugs: none
- Wildlife: none
- Precip: none this day but I was prepared
- Temp: 35 overnight
- LNT: for a busy trailhead, trail was in great shape
- Jan’s Cherry Picker Delight Scale: 4 cherries (out of 5)
- Bikes share the trail with hikers, so be extra alert. There were also quite a few dogs on and off leash.
- There is a nearby campground as well as areas for dispersed camping.