Neither of us had hiked in the Pecos Wilderness so we were anxious to explore. I’d gathered information on trail conditions from the Ranger Station in Pecos, at least the areas to avoid; NO is written on several areas of the map. After eliminating those areas we decided to start with a lollipop loop beginning at the Winsor Trailhead and hiking Winsor National Recreation Trail #254, to Lake Katherine on Skyline Trail #251, to Santa Fe Baldy, to Stewart Lake and finally returning on Winsor Ridge Trail #271.
It’s also fun finding your way through the snowfields.
- May 9-10, 2018
- Hiking Stats:
- Plan to resupply at Santa Fe or Las Vegas; Pecos had slim pickings.
- When near large population areas such as Santa Fe and Albuquerque, you can expect more regulations and consequences.
- It’s always good to gather recent trail conditions reports from nearby ranger stations or visitor centers. Postings reinforce information when resource centers are closed. Many times information is not updated or available on their websites.
- USFS – Santa Fe National Forest, Pecos Ranger Station
- USFS – Pecos Wilderness
- Wilderness Net – Pecos Wilderness
- USFS Map – Pecos Wilderness, Santa Fe and Carson National Forests