Just like with Yellowbelly Trailhead, you hike for a bit on an old road before reaching the official trailhead.
It was time to say goodbye to the Sawtooths for now. What an amazing few weeks. I can’t wait to return a little later in the season when the passes are clear of snow and the waterways are a bit safer to ford.
- June 12-13, 2018
- Hiking Stats:
- Permits are free and self serve at the trailhead. I wish more areas would adopt this practice.
- It seems campfire rings might be a thing of the past. I like this philosophy.
- Public showers and laundry are available near Redfish Lake Lodge.
- Visit the Ranger Station in Stanley to determine latest trail conditions and dispersed camping options. They marked a Motor Vehicle Use map with roads appropriate for my vehicle and approved for dispersed camping. After hiking various trails I reported back to the Stanley Ranger Station and the rangers provided more and more options after each visit. Once they know your interests and abilities they are more willing to assist in the process.
- USFS – Sawtooth National Forest, Hell Roaring Trailhead
- USFS – Sawtooth National Recreation Area
- Book – Trails of the Sawtooth and Boulder-White Cloud Mountains by Margaret Fuller
- Map – Sawtooth & White Cloud Mountains Trails Map