You might want to reference my backpacking food section for details on what and how much to take on trips.
I use a Nesco Dehydrator with the below recipes. I recommend buying extra Fruit Roll-Up Sheets so you have one for each tray (the unit comes with 2 roll-up sheets and 5 trays) and Parchment Paper 15″ Width for lining the regular trays (they absorb any excess oils as well as prevent foods small pieces from falling through and eventually blowing out the bottom).
Odors intensify during the dehydration process and can become quite disgusting (i.e. tomato-based recipes). I like running the dehydrator in my guest bathroom with the fan on. Other options include the garage or outside, but I worry about bugs in those locations.
Until you are certain of recipe times, I don’t recommend dehydrating at night. I learned the hard way! I expected the process to take all night, but awoke to the overwhelming odor of my first pasta sauce experience. Decided to check on it, and found it done at 3am. I had not used the parchment paper and instead used the fruit leather sheets, forcing me to peel it off the sheets in the middle of the night before it became forever glued. After that interruption, good luck going back to sleep. LESSON LEARNED!
- Sweet Potato, Quinoa & Black Bean Cold Salad
- Quinoa, Edamane, Lime & Ginger Cold Salad (recipe pending)
- Hummus (I use Trader Joe’s prepared Spicy Hummus Dip)
- Chili (dehydrate at … for … hours)
- Pasta Sauce (recipe pending)
- Shepherd Pie
- Teriyaki Turkey
- Jan’s Mexican Fiesta Salad
- Snack Bars
- Apple Berry Fruit Leather
- Tofu Jerky (a great way to get a little extra protein)
- Edamame (another great protein packed non-sweet snack)
- Energy Bars (I haven’t made these yet, but I like the simplicity of the recipe)
- Powdered milk – recommend Nestle Nido
(you can purchase at Amazon, Walmart, etc.)
- Condiments – you can purchase small portion sizes at Minimus.biz and some even on Amazon.
- Horseradish – Dehydrates well and can be used to season Shepherd Pie or mashed potatoes, etc.
- Emergency Essentials
- Harmony House
- Mother Earth Products
- Just Tomatoes, Etc.
- North Bay Trading Company
- Freezer Bag Cooking and Trail Cooking
- Dehydrating 101 by Trail Cooking
- Kale for the Trail by Liz Thomas
- 101+ Dehydrating Recipes by Mom with a Prep
- How to Dehydrate Chicken (HINT: start with canned chicken)
- Logan Bread Recipe
- Another Logan Bread Recipe
- JMT Bread Recipe
- Keep it Simple by Rachel and Scott
- 500 Best Quinoa Recipes
- Homemade Hiking Snacks
- The Yummy Life – 7 Day Menu with Recipes