I flipped through the log looking for mine and Joan’s entry when we visited in December 2017 (link). Well I guess the snow explains our missing signatures.
With cell signal I spent significant time at the top and on the way down consulting with friends and family about the COVID-19 situation. They all encouraged me to stay and hike as it was safer in the wilderness than at home. My stress was beginning to outweigh the joy I usually feel. I wasn’t sleeping well. I was hearing about school closures, empty store shelves, and in general a mix of panic and fear. Having asthma, I’m in one of the groups advised to take extra precautions. The nearby Forest Service Campgrounds were still open, but rules and guidelines were changing quickly. What to do?
- March 17, 2020
- At the Visitor Center ask for trail guides and the dispersed camping handout.
- The nearest gas is in Animas, New Mexico
- The nearest laundry is near Rodeo, New Mexico. I used Rusty’s RV Park and it was clean, inexpensive with the bonus of a place to hang out with WiFi.
- The nearest shower I found was at The Chiricahua Desert Museum between Portal, Arizona and Rodeo, New Mexico.
- There are small grocery stores and cafes in both Portal and nearby at Sky Islands.
- The library and Visitor Center leave on their WiFi during business hours, both accessible from outside.
- Potable water, garbage and restrooms are available at the nearby campgrounds.
- Best digital trail maps I found are the Gaia layer on the Gaia app. The others I tried haven’t been updated since the 2011 fire.
- The time on your phone will flip back and forth between New Mexico and Arizona time, making it very confusing.
- Friends of Cave Creek Canyon – Hiking Trails
- Hiking the Chiricahua Mountain Trails
- USFS – Coronado Forest, Chiricahua Mountains
- Map – Chirichua Mountains and National Monument (Green Trails)
I participate in the Amazon affiliate program and may receive a commission on qualifying purchases linked in this post. It doesn’t affect your price but it helps support this site.